Sunday, September 23, 2012

Missing the Local Butcher

Shopping local not only support your neighbourhood businesses, but it can also make a lot of sense. Sense in the way of dollars and cents.

I try to shop local whenever I can, though there are some things that aren't offered in my local neighbourhood. Fresh food isn't one of them.

I visit several local farmer's markets for my fresh fruit, vegetables and breads. My fresh meats come not from the grocery store but from my local neighbourhood butcher.

I miss my butcher.

J. Rumor hasn't closed up his shop or anything so that's not why I miss him. He's gone on a well deserved vacation and I didn't sufficiently stock up before he left. He won't be back for another two weeks.

Shopping for my meats at the grocery store is a painfully expensive experience.

My usual order from Rumor's is 10 lbs of ground pork. Sometimes I get ground beef as the butcher doesn't charge any more for beef. The total cost for 10 lbs of groud meat costs me $20.00 including tax.

Recently, upon realizing that Rumor's wasn't an option this time, I went to the nearest grocery store looking for my meats. The best deal I could find was ground pork (beef costs more) and only managed to get three lbs worth for about $10.

Wow what a difference in price when you directly compare the two.

I will be valuing J. Rumor, the Barton Village's resident butcher, when he comes back. Come on down to 386 Barton St East on October 9th and welcome him back to Hamilton. He'll welcome the visit and the deal on fresh meat can't be beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment