Friday, April 19, 2013

Demolition of Sanford School Begins

Sanford Avenue School stands stipped
and ready to be torn down.
It has officially started. We knew the day would come and, even with the start a few weeks ago of window being shattered and historically significant parts of the building being removed and saved, it wasn't until late yesterday that the large wrecking vehicles began the actual demolition of Sanford Avenue School.

I've taken a lot of photos of the school, which I attended from JK - grade 5 nearly two decades ago. I was shocked to learn when I moved back to the neighbourhood that the school was a holding school, then closed and then finally slated for demolition. It makes me very sad and angry at the same time. This latest bit of destruction pains me even more now. Especially since I was denied access by the board for one last viewing of my childhood elementary school prior to the demolition process.

Below are a few photos of the school since the demolition process began a few weeks ago along with some photos of the school from this morning's wrecking crew work.

Over the course of the next few weeks (or days) I'll be updating with more photos of the school's demise, with full galleries on the My Barton Village Facebook page.

Click here for the gallery so far from April 19th's demolition.



No comments:

Post a Comment